Your smile is one of your most important physical features. Most people would like to improve one or more aspects of their teeth to boost their confidence and beautify their look. According to a survey by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 99.7 percent of patients “believe a smile is an important social asset,” 96 percent “believe an attractive smile can make us more appealing” and 74 percent “feel an unattractive smile would hurt a person’s chances for career advancement.” Despite the fact that millions of people would like to enhance their smiles, many are unsure of their treatment options. Dr. Stephen J. Gershberg and our experienced dental team offer a variety of procedures to upgrade your smile. In the following blog, we explain the basics of cosmetic dentistry so you can take charge of your look and transform your grin.
What Makes Cosmetic Dentistry Different?
The primary aim of cosmetic dentistry is to improve the appearance of your smile according to your unique wishes. Of course, these procedures can and often do also better the function and health of your teeth. For example, a porcelain crown can instantly straighten and whiten your tooth, but it can also cover and protect the remaining portion of a damaged tooth to prevent further harm. Similarly, tooth straightening is typically considered a cosmetic procedure, but it can also reduce your risks for gum disease and decay.
Who is a Candidate?
Most patients qualify for and can benefit from cosmetic dentistry. To be a good candidate for these types of procedures, you should:
- Be in good oral and dental health. Dr. Gershberg will need to treat any oral health conditions before proceeding with cosmetic care.
- Wish to improve one or more characteristics of your smile.
- Have realistic expectations about the results of your procedure.
Dr. Gershberg will see you for an initial consultation to determine if you are eligible for any cosmetic dentistry procedures. During this appointment, he will examine your mouth, perform any necessary diagnostic tests, go over your dental records, and discuss your concerns with you before creating a personalized treatment plan.
Our Treatment Options
Dr. Gershberg and our team provide the following cosmetic dentistry services:
- Invisalign® and ClearCorrect. These orthodontic treatments involve wearing a set of transparent plastic aligners that gradually shift your teeth into their proper position. These appliances are removable and typically more comfortable than traditional braces, making them more convenient and discreet.
- Teeth whitening. We offer take-home tooth whitening treatments from Zoom! This formula dissolves stains and discoloration trapped in your enamel to brighten your teeth up to ten shades.
- Porcelain veneers. This multipurpose cosmetic treatment involves placing custom made porcelain shells over the front and sometimes sides of your teeth. Since they obscure a wide variety of imperfections, porcelain veneers can correct misshapenness, crookedness, discoloration, staining, cracks, and chips.
- Porcelain crowns. If one of your teeth has been damaged by injury, infection, or decay, Dr. Gershberg can treat the underlying issue and cap it with a beautiful, custom made porcelain crown to restore its appearance and function. Like porcelain veneers, crowns can correct a wide variety of esthetic issues.
The Importance of Qualified, Personalized Care
It is especially important to work with an experienced dentist for cosmetic dentistry procedures, since these individualized treatments require both technical skill and artistry. Dr. Gershberg works closely with our patients to help them achieve the smiles they’ve always wanted. He will listen to your commentary, answer your questions, and design a treatment to suit your needs, wishes, and budget. To better understand what Dr. Gershberg may be able to accomplish with you, you can read one of our 400 very positive reviews on DemandForce or check out our smile gallery of before and after photos.
About Your Main Line Cosmetic Dentist
Dr. Gershberg has over 30 years of dental experience. If you opt for cosmetic dentistry care at our practice, he will use his extensive knowledge and expertise to beautify your smile. If you’re interested in learning more about our cosmetic services, contact us by email or call 610-527-6700.